Foods Poisonous To Dogs
While many foods are beneficial for humans, they can be harmful to dogs and other pets. To ensure your dog’s well-being, it’s crucial to be aware of the foods that can be poisonous to them.
Check out the list below to learn more about these harmful foods:
Avocados may be beneficial to you, but they can be extremely hazardous to dogs.
Raisins and Grapes
Raisins and grapes can induce kidney failure in dogs. Symptoms of renal failure from raisins and grapes often develop within 12 hours of consumption.
Undercooked or Raw Eggs, Meat, and Bones
Feeding your dog raw meat or eggs can be harmful since they are comprised of bacteria such as E. coli and Salmonella. When it comes to raw eggs, they contain the biotin-binding protein Avidin that diminishes the absorption of biotin. This can ultimately lead to coat and skin issues for your dog.
Additionally, feeding your dog raw beef or chicken bones may seem harmless, but it can actually be very dangerous. Dogs can choke or be seriously injured if the bone splinters. To be safe, only give your dog bones that are safe for their consumption and veterinarian approved.
Chocolate and Caffeine Products
Chocolate and caffeine products contain methylxanthines. When consumed by dogs, methylxanthines can bring on a variety of effects, such as excessive thirst, diarrhea, abnormal heart rhythm, and tremors.
Milk and Dairy Products
Dogs do not have a sufficient amount of lactase in their system. Lactase is responsible for breaking down the lactose contained in milk. Because of that, milk and other dairy products can cause diarrhea and other digestive issues.
Chives, Onion, and Garlic
While these herbs and vegetables may be beneficial to health in humans, they are particularly harmful to pets. When consumed by your dog, these vegetables and herbs can bring on gastrointestinal irritation and can lead to anemia and damage to the red blood cells.
When dogs consume macadamia nuts, they can experience depression, vomiting, hypothermia, weakness, and tremors. You will notice the symptoms within 12 hours of consuming and can last about one to two days.
Salt and Foods That Contain Salt
Consuming excessive amounts of salt can cause extreme urination, thirst, and even sodium ion poisoning. If your dog ingested too much salt, you may notice diarrhea, tremors, vomiting, seizures, or a high temperature. The foods that you should avoid feeding your dog include salted popcorn, potato chips, and pretzels.
Yeast dough can cause gas to collect in your dog’s digestive system. It can cause bloating to the stomach and can cause your dog to be in a large amount of pain. It can also cause the stomach to twist, leading to a life-threatening emergency.
Nuts have exorbitant amounts of fats and oils which can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and possibly pancreatitis in dogs.
Xylitol is a sweetener contained in many products such as baked goods, candy, and gum. Consuming this causes an insulin release and can result in liver failure. Due to the increase of insulin, your dog could suffer from hypoglycemia.
Trust Your Pet’s Care With All Aboard Animal Hospital
If you’re concerned about something your dog ingested, trust the caring professionals at All Aboard Animal Hospital. Our team is dedicated to providing customized care to your dog in a welcoming environment, with outstanding customer service. Contact us today at 954-785-7780 to learn more about our services and how we can assist you.