Get Ready For Fall With Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
With Thanksgiving right around the corner, baking festive treats for your family, including your pet, is fun! These peanut butter and pumpkin biscuits are a tasty, protein-filled treat for your dog to enjoy this fall. At All Aboard Animal Hospital, we offer our patients and their owners homemade dog treat recipes that are always healthy for consumption. Our veterinary team can also offer helpful tips on diet and nutrition for your dog on our All Aboard Animal Hospital’s Facebook page and Vet Talk Blog.
Is Peanut Butter Safe for Consumption for Dogs?
Yes, most peanut butter is safe for your dog to eat in moderation. Peanut butter is a great source of healthy fat, protein, niacin, and vitamins B and E. The best option is to use unsalted peanut butter as those with high sodium aren’t as good for your dog to consume.
Remember, excessive consumption can lead to weight gain and even pancreatitis. Choose one with the least amount of sodium, sugar, and additives when making homemade dog treat recipes. Be sure that the peanut butter you choose does not contain the sweetener xylitol as it can be toxic to animals. It causes a rapid insulin release, which can be life-threatening.
Peanut Butter & Pumpkin Biscuits Recipe
NOTE: This homemade dog treat recipe makes 25 servings. Each treat contains about two grams of protein.
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (xylitol-free)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F (180 °C) prepping the dog treat mixture.
- Prepare a non-stick baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Next, whisk together the cinnamon, salt, peanut butter, canned pumpkin, eggs, and flour. Add water if necessary to make the dough more workable. You want your dough to be dry and stiff.
- Roll your dough into a ½-inch roll. Cut treats into ½ inch pieces. Place them on the baking sheet, ½-inch apart.
- Bake the peanut butter & pumpkin biscuits until they are hard, for approximately 40-45 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Allow treats to fully cool before consumption (about 45 minutes).
For more healthy homemade dog treat recipes, follow our blog!
Learn More About Healthy Homemade Dog Treat Recipes
All Aboard Animal Hospital offers superior veterinary care for our clients and their pets. Our full-service vet facility provides optimal dog care for all breeds. We specialize in medical and surgical care services. To learn more about our services and to schedule an appointment at our Pompano Beach office, call us at 954-785-7780 today. Contact All Aboard Animal Hospital today! We accept cash, American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa, and Care Credit.